- So many of us wander around with our noses stuck in our smartphones, checking our social media accounts or watching YouTube videos on the go. Whilst this may bring instant gratification, being constantly plugged into the internet has caused many of us to feel disconnected from the here and now.
Mindfulness can help us reconnect with the present and become more aware of what’s happening, both around us and within our own minds. It gives us the time to take a break from rushing around and helps us to focus on our mental and emotional state.
What are the benefits of mindfulness?
Practising mindfulness for just 10 minutes each day may help us to become more aware of our mental state. Just as exercise helps to keep our bodies in shape, our minds require a similar level of care.
Building up mindfulness techniques can vastly improve how we handle stressful situations on a daily basis.
Mindfulness may also have a positive effect on our physical well-being, too, which in turn may help us combat the physical symptoms of stress such as:
- Disturbed sleep
- High blood pressure
- Muscle tension and other physical symptoms
How can you practise mindfulness day-to-day?
Finding the time to include mindfulness practice into your daily routine can be difficult, especially during busy or stressful times.
Top tip: To ensure that you have time for mindfulness meditation, schedule in the same 10-minute slot every day to sit down and practise. In doing so, you will give yourself a better chance at sticking to a regular mindfulness programme.
Why not set reminders on your smartphone to help remind you when it’s time for your mindfulness meditation? Alternatively, you can take a look at some of the mindfulness and meditation apps listed below.
What tools can help you live more mindfully?
There are now many apps and websites offering set programmes in mindfulness meditation. These tools are perfect for the meditation beginner looking for a simple and guided way to start practising mindfulness.
Some of the most popular mindfulness apps are:
Calm - https://www.calm.com/
- Provides guided and unguided practices
- A breathing tool helps you to focus on how you inhale and exhale
- There are a number of different backgrounds and music to choose from to help you relax
- Periods of ‘daily calm’ help you start a consistent meditation schedule
Headspace - https://www.headspace.com/
- One of the most well-known apps on the market, this app educates the user about mindfulness and its benefits
- Uses videos and guided meditation to teach you about the best ways to practise mindfulness meditation
- Provides a number of guided scenarios to help you handle any situation
Buddhify - http://buddhify.com/
- Organised by theme – from taking a work break to falling asleep
- Records your meditation schedule
- Allows you to choose from guided or unguided programmes
Smiling Mind - https://smilingmind.com.au/
- Has programmes for different age groups, starting from seven years old
- Short one to three minute meditations
- Classroom programmes that educators can use
- Video guidance
Mindfulness meditation techniques have proven to be extremely effective when it comes to maintaining mental health and well-being. Just 10 minutes each day could help relieve stress and provide the tools and mechanisms necessary to become aware of and accept different emotions.
Incorporating mindfulness into your everyday routine could help you to keep feeling well. Find out just how well you're doing with our Wellness Score calculator. Simply answer a few questions and the tool will generate your Wellness Score.