TEA+ Vitamin D Vitamin Tea
TEA+ is a new range of vitamin infused teas designed to help maintain general health and wellbeing. We have created a unique blend of vitamins, herbs, fruit and green tea with the aim to help in your daily wellness goals when needed most, in a convenient, nutritious and delicious cup of tea.
- Each box contains a 14 day routine (14 tea bags)
- 100% NRV vitamin D
- Lemongrass & green tea
- Natural mango & pineapple flavourings
What is Vitamin D?
Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin found in foods such as mushrooms, oily fish, butter and egg yolk. Vitamin D has functions and benefits that are probably more wide ranging than any other vitamin.
There is increasing evidence for the beneficial effects from dietary vitamin D which has shown to contribute to:
- Maintenance of normal bones and teeth
- Normal absorption and utilisation of calcium and phosphorus
- Normal muscle function
- Normal blood calcium levels
- Normal function of the immune system
- The process of cell division
For adults over the age of 60, it has also been shown that a daily vitamin D intake of 20µg or more from all sources helps to reduce the risk of falling associated with postural instability and muscle weakness. Falling is a risk factor for bone fractures among men and women 60 years of age and older.
Vitamin D - the sunshine vitamin
While our bodies manufacture vitamin D on exposure to sunshine, the levels in many countries is so weak during the winter months that our body makes little or insufficient amounts, meaning that dietary supplements are often the best way to safeguard intakes of vitamin D. Many populations, including the majority of those in Europe, require an additional dietary source of vitamin D to achieve and maintain an adequate status of this important vitamin.
In addition, the body does not generate vitamin D when sitting behind a glass window, whether in your car or at home, because these UV rays cannot penetrate glass to generate vitamin D in the skin. Sunscreens, even weak ones, while essential to protect the skin, can affect the body's ability to generate vital vitamin D.
Vitamin D supplementation recommendation
The UK Department of Health recommend that adults and children over the age of one should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10mcg of vitamin D, particularly during autumn and winter. People who have a higher risk of vitamin D deficiency are being advised to take a supplement all year round.
Why vitamin D supplementation may be especially recommended, including:
- Government health advice to reduce sun exposure which can mean less Vitamin D is produced naturally by the body.
- Reduced sun exposure in some groups of the population e.g. older people, those who cover their skin, certain occupations, medical reasons and those with darker skin tones (as greater skin melanin content can reduce the skin's production of vitamin D).
- Increased requirement at certain life stages e.g. the elderly population, whose skin may not be able to synthesise vitamin D as effectively.
- Those with increased dietary intolerances (e.g. lactose and dairy) or allergies.
- People who are on a diet.
TEA+ Vitamin D is available in the UK from pharmacies and health stores including Holland & Barrett. Alternatively order online here