Are you thinking of trying for a(nother) baby? It's really important to make sure you take the health of both of you into account, so here's sometips to boost male fertility.
A lot of the information available is focused on women; however, men can do a great deal to improve their chances of conception and naturally boost fertility.
So for our final post on conception month, here's a simple checklist on health and lifestyle and tips for men who are trying for a baby and some ideas to help boost male fertility.
- Avoid alcohol - sadly, it lowers the sperm count even when you're only drinking small amounts
- Recreational drugs – even in moderate amounts, cannabis can cause a low sperm count, poor sperm speed and increased abnormalities
- And stop smoking – it has been shown to reduce both the sperm count and the sperm motility
- Diet – make sure you're getting enough of the right foods and nutrients; it all helps with sperm count
- Sex - research shows that a man's sperm count is higher in the morning, so take advantage of it!
- Keep cool – stay away from hot tubs, hot showers and tight fitting underwear. Sperm count is higher at a cooler temperature
- Find a good work / life balance – fatigue can have an effect your sex drive, so make sure you're not all about work work work
- Toxins – stay clear of environmental poisons and hazards. These include pesticides/insecticides, organic solvents, lead, ionizing radiation, heavy metals, and toxic chemicals
- Exercise – swap the exercise bike for the treadmill. Repeated banging of the crotch against the bicycle seat can damage critical arteries and nerves (ouch!)
- And our final tip to help boost male fertility, mobile phones – according to research by scientists in Hungary, men who keep mobile phones switched-on in their trouser pocket or on belts have significantly lowered sperm counts and risk their fertility being cut by up to a third. Also, the sperm’s motility may be affected by long calls. Do you need any more reasons to switch off?
Photo by *christopher* from San Francisco, USA via Wikimedia Commons