It's winter, it's cold and it's wet. But how do you keep small children occupied when cabin fever is threatening to set in? Here's TalkMum blogger Cath with some fun ways to entertain your children when it's too bleak to go outside.
As well as all the recent snow, we seem to be having an awful lot of rain at the moment. I know, I know, it is the season for it, but living in Lancashire we seem to get more than our fair share of bad weather. It can be pretty miserable when you’re all stuck indoors for days on end.
So what can you do when the weather is bad that doesn't involve spending money? Here are a few of our favourite suggestions for you to try:
- Get in the kitchen: My sons both love baking and cooking and it is so easy to do. They love making fairy cakes and then choosing different toppings to decorate them with. Licking out the mixing bowl is also fun too!
- Indoor Picnic: On wet and gray days we sometimes have a picnic in the living room. The boys help make sandwiches and choose snacks. We lay the picnic blanket on the floor and sit and eat. It’s far more exciting than eating at the kitchen table
- Making life size drawings: Get some old sheets of wallpaper or large sheets of paper and get your child to lie on the paper. You can then draw round them and they can then colour or paint themselves.
- Cinema day: Rather than going to the cinema you can watch a DVD and make your own popcorn. Buy popping corn from supermarkets or health food shops and all you need to do is add a little oil to a pan add the corn and wait for it to pop!
- Go for a walk: It is lots of fun to get out in the snow, but children also love splashing in puddles too. Wrap them up well in waterproofs, a hat and a pair of wellies and go outside and splash! Don’t let the children have all the fun, have a go too!
How do you occupy small children when the weather is terrible? Let us know your rainy day tips.